Summer may be a time to wind down after a busy, exhausting, and hectic school year. But the kids can really get bored after playing on their tablets, watching television, and playing endless hours of video games, the first week that they are out of school. As parents we want each summer to be filled with activities that do not only keep our children busy and entertained, but make each summer more memorable than the next.
We have a blast focusing on major educational projects with arts and crafts as the theme, as well as some sports and science activities. If you want your kids to reap the benefits of an active and fun-filled summer this is the bucket list for you. Here are 25 ideas for your summer bucket list to keep kids from getting bored, and creating lasting memories that they’ll have for a lifetime, or at least have some awesome things to report when they return for that first day back to school.
25 Fun Things to do with your kids
1. Make a photo journal or family yearbook.
2. Bake cupcakes, and a sundae bar, or create new summertime recipes.
3. Volunteer at a Nature Center.
4. Visit a Farmer’s Market.
5. Make a side-walk chalk mural.
6. Plan a picnic at a local park.
7. Go swimming at your local pool.
8. Set up a lemonade stand.
9. Make homemade flower leis, and have an Hawaiian back yard luau.
10. Write and Illustrate your own book.
11. Visit a local zoo.
12. Stage an A-Z Scavenger Hunt, where you have to find something that starts with each letter.
13. Go for a walk and then make a collage from nature objects along the way.
13. Blow bubbles continuously.
14. Have a Hula Hoop Challenge.
15. Visit Local Library to pick out summer reading books, and discover any free events happening at the library.
16. Go bike riding through trails, and new neighborhoods in your area.
17. Go hiking and exploring at your local park.
18. Paint with water colors and have an art show.
19. Play dress up and stage a back yard play.
20. Attend an outdoor festival or concert.
21. Pick a nearby town to visit for a day.
23. Eat too many popsicles.
24. Watch Fireworks.
25. Play at the playground with all the neighborhood kids.
What fun things are you planning to do with your kids this summer?