Have you ever thought about starting your own blog? You may have a phenomenal writing background, a passion and expertise in motherhood, or just a personal desire to document your family’s story to share with others? Have you followed other bloggers in social media and wondered how could I begin writing my own personal blog? You may believe that starting your own blog is difficult, but at the end of the day it is a simpler process than you could ever imagine, with various options and resources that are provided at your disposal for the newbie or novice blogger. You have the ability to take blogging, and your personal platform to multiple degrees of blog success. You have limitless choices either by keeping your blog a personal blog to document your adventures as a busy mom, stay at home mom, working mom, single mom, military mom, or mother in the community. All mothers have great stories, recipes, DIY projects, and life lessons that can be shared through blogging and having a blogging platform. In contrast, if you preferred to transform your blog into a business and you have an entrepreneurial spirit you have the option of monetizing your blog, this will allow more freedom to obtain passive income for future endeavors that will help to support you and your growing family. In conclusion, this article will discuss the five best steps for beginners to start the journey of becoming a Mommy/Lifestyle Blogger.
1. Choose your preferred bloggers platform
2. Choose whether you want to self host and a paid domain, or get a free blog
3. Set up a blog on your own domain (if you choose self hosting and a custom domain)
4. Designing your blog
5. Create Memorable Content
1. Choosing where you want to build your blog- is a major part of the blogging journey. You will encounter different options when building your blog. As a newbie or novice blogger it is important to identify which option works for your writing personality and your blogging goals. You have to make the daunting decisions of what you plan to accomplish by building your blog, the audience that you plan to reach, and the mission statement of your blog. Word Press is by far one of the most popular blogging platforms. Word Press has numerous plug ins and add ons, with infinite ways of designing the layout for your blog. Word Press is a chosen platform by both seasoned and newbie bloggers around the world. However, if you are a novice blogger and just testing out the waters to see if blogging is for you, you may want to start out with Blogger which is the next best thing to Word Press or Tumbler which is half network and half blog.
But I still suggest that you begin with Word Press- because if you decide to become more professional with blogging, or if you do decide to monetize your blog, you will not have to worry about making a blog transfer from Blogger to Word Press in the future. You may have to hire a company to assist you with the blog transfer if you are not that tech savvy. On the other hand, Word Press has tons of themes, layouts, plugins, and the ability to share your content with a very large audience, and your content can be shared and commented on throughout the career of your blog, as mentioned earlier ownership is key for the livelihood of your blog.
2. Self Hosting- When you are self hosted you have ownership of your own blog. When you have free blogs you do not have any ownership. All your blog can disappear at any moment, because it is hosted on someone else’s website platform. With self hosted you are able to name your blog, naming of your blog can become challenging as well, when you decide on your blog’s name makes sure that it is something that you want to have not only as your name but your brand in the future. The name of your blog can actually become part of your brand as a blogger, you can add unlimited videos and images, and quality content by self hosting your blog.
3. Start a blog on your own domain
Domain- The domain is the URL of your website. You can use Go Daddy as a vehicle to provide you with a domain name for your blog. Go Daddy is a great company for supplying domain names, and they have a wonderful support team to keep you abreast if your name has been taken by other websites. They can give you a memorable and simple domain name to support your blog and your business.
Hosting-Hosting is the company that puts your website up on the internet so everyone else can see it. Web Hub is a great company and reasonably priced for hosting your blog. Bloggers have used Web Hub as a company to support their blogging and publishing endeavors for years.
4. Designing your Word Press Blog- Your blog’s design should reflect both you, your message, mission, and your personality, you can achieve this by choosing your logo, what you would place on your side bar, contact information, your about me page, and the overall layout of your blog. Your blog should be easy to navigate, and it is very important to keep it clutter free, simple, and professional.
5. Creating Content- If your content is not of substantial quality you will have to do more work editing, and formatting your blog to become a successful writer or blogger. Everything that you publish should have a core value. Do you want to interact with your readers, and receive comments on similar life experiences, allow a safe place for your readers to feel emotional, give them valuable information on certain topics, make a difference in your community, reach other mothers, or all of the above? Content is a conversation between you and your readers, each article that you publish has to have a purpose. Think about each piece of content as a “precious diamond,” that you cannot wait to put out into the world to shine brightly for everyone to see. You have to think about the message that you want to send with each article. You want to make sure your article makes an initial impact for the reader. In addition, you would encourage your readers to leave with small nuggets, so they will return to read more informative articles directly from your blog. Lastly, you are afforded the luxury, through the writing of your article to engage your community or to continue to enlighten your online tribe with valuable information that they may not be able to receive from any other media sources. You have the major responsibility of cultivating the platform that you are creating through your blog by writing quality content.